Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pros and Cons

I do not think money is bad. I think it is good. It helps me survive. I do think money causes many problems, something especially evident in developing and third world countries. I also think life is important and valuable. I think it should be cherished and no one has the right to impede upon another's life in any way with a direct, conscious decision to do so.
And so we find ourselves at that sticky place with abortion. Sifting through all the political rhetoric is very difficult and is often a trying task. So, it is hard for me to believe someone like Romney is pro-life when he is in favor of further military spending and expansion. Inherently, an innocent child will die. If just that one life is snuffed out due to a drone strike, I do not think Romney can say he is pro-life. Rather, he is anti-abortion and pro-American life and to me, that is a big difference than truly being pro-life. Romney was just an example. This is rhetoric I hear from conservatives all the time, including many conservatives that I am very close to and love, yet I find their view unreconcilable.
Conservatives would also like to do as they wish with their money, stating "how can the government think it knows what to do with my money better than I do?" This is valid. All tithing statistics aside though, obviously people don't really know what to do with their money. Conversely, should we allow the government to know what is best for our bodies and minds? Specifically women, can the government know what is right for women in the case of abortion? It seems to me that it cannot if it cannot know what is the right way to spend our money.

For further reading, here are some links to author, theologian and preacher Greg Boyd's blog on abortion and one on homosexuality that discusses the inadequacies of the Church's relationship with the LGBT community.

No comments:

Post a Comment