Monday, June 18, 2012

liberte egalite fraternite



I am intrigued by the idea of revolution. I suppose I view all constructs and archetypes of all political movements as revolution. It is always a revolution against something, even if it does not appear to be as it could be a small revolution. I just categorized all political dichotomy as revolution. However, what I am most interested in is the marginalized revolutions and revolutionaries. As we say in literary circles, "the other."

Yesterday we went to a bookstore called "Revolution Books" all dedicated to the idea of revolution. This was effectively the revolution against traditionalism, something I am more or less aligned with. I also found it interesting that while in the store, the proprietor and a walk in were talking about portland and the walk in described it as "liberal and open minded," and, from what I could infer, as implying that conservatism and open mindedness are in mutual exclusivity of each other, though perhaps more often than not that would be correct, would cause the walk in to be close minded about this notion. An interesting note to be sure.

I do believe that some traditions are good, but holding to traditions for the sake of traditionalism and asserting it must be true because it is tradition seems incredibly stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment